[Release] Auto Updater

Miscellaneous tools for your Soma Server

[Release] Auto Updater

Postby Ramy » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:25 pm

Hello I've made this auto updater for soma, though it could be used for other things.

The server's address and client launcher are all editable in ini, and it will check for updates and update-> launch game immediately after opening the programme, the edit boxes are there for when there's errors to retry/change url etc.

you should not need to edit the save file as box at all.

How it works:

The updater downloads the ini file from your update server (url is set in client's ver.ini), string compassion the two versions. (see ini files for more info about this ) If the client version is less than the server version it loads the url (from your server's version.ini file) then looks for a file in that directory named vers(clientversion)TO(serverversion).rar.

For example if your client version is 1.0.3b and your server version is 1.0.3c it will look for the file vers1.0.3bTO1.0.3c.rar

The address on the server version.ini needs to be a direct link to the folder where your .rar files are stored so no html urls like rapidshare's redirects.

After the file is downloaded it will unrar the contents in the current directory of updater.exe, idealy this would be the same directory as your soma.exe. The file structure of the rar's should be something like:

soma.exe
ver.ini (the new ver.ini for the client with the updated version)
/DItem/item1.obm
/Armature/A000100.spl

and so on, when the rar file is unrared in the base folder it would over write the old files thus "patching it".

If the client is up-to-date it will run the game, if the client version is greater than server version it will standby and wait for a new url to check.

The reason for seperate update rars for each version to version is so the client downloads the absolute minimum, though making these rars might be a pain.. there'll be a php script made to rar them from database on demand of the updater client. For now do them manually or even have them be inclusive of all patches.

Attached is the files needed, everything you need to put int he client is in that folder, and the server has an example rar file to download and update from version 1 to 2.

mirror: ftp://soma@shinra-co.net/updater.rar
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ramy
SD Four Star
SD Four Star

Re: [Release] Auto Updater

Postby Ryke » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:38 pm

Not something I would use but this is good keep up the good work mate :)
Ryke
SD One Star
SD One Star

Postby rizzla » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:36 pm

this is a good idea but i would of thought it would be better to add it to a client launcher even tho it would check like everyday it might be a good idea to add it in the launcher if possible obv.

also i dont know if there is one aint really looked for it but another great tool for gms would be somethink that they could change there encryption code in both client/1p1 auto so they dont have to go searching in ollydbg for example they would open the program enter the code they want and bingo it does both at the same time i dont no if theres any possibillty that it could leave a backdoor open to hackers
rizzla
SD Three Star
SD Three Star

Postby Ramy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:52 pm

I'm not really sure what you mean by "launcher" but this does what somagame.exe used to do, in a different way.
Instead of invoking somagame with the ip you put it in the ini file, and instead of zips it's rars.

Idealy you would run this everytime you want to open soma, this checks for updates, downloads, unrars, and "launches" client. The exe it runs and the args are in the ini file too. so if launcher means something else let me know what it is exactly.

Take Care!
Ramy
SD Four Star
SD Four Star

Postby Dimension » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:25 pm

rizzla wrote:also i dont know if there is one aint really looked for it but another great tool for gms would be somethink that they could change there encryption code in both client/1p1 auto so they dont have to go searching in ollydbg for example they would open the program enter the code they want and bingo it does both at the same time i dont no if theres any possibillty that it could leave a backdoor open to hackers

Hit the nail on the head!
This tool allows novice GMs to make their server as hack free as possible (if you maintain it).
All you would need to do is update the encryption within the 1p1 every few days and release a new encryption inside the client and change the client version. This would then pick up an out of date client and auto update to the newest version (with the new encryption) thus making any hacks unusable until the encryption gets cracked again. However if you run this method every few days it will eliminate the bots and hacks altogether unless you come accross a very perssistant hacker.

Although i guess your suggesting that the tool did an auto encryption change rather than you manually doing it yourself? well changing the encryption takes no time, just learn how to do it. I think Arcanine created a thread sumwhere on it.
Dimension
SD Five Star
SD Five Star

Postby arcanine » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:07 pm

Looks cool :) Good work Ramy

Will have to play and tinker when I can
arcanine
SD Pro 5 Star
SD Pro 5 Star

Postby rizzla » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:31 pm

Dimension wrote:
rizzla wrote:also i dont know if there is one aint really looked for it but another great tool for gms would be somethink that they could change there encryption code in both client/1p1 auto so they dont have to go searching in ollydbg for example they would open the program enter the code they want and bingo it does both at the same time i dont no if theres any possibillty that it could leave a backdoor open to hackers

Hit the nail on the head!
This tool allows novice GMs to make their server as hack free as possible (if you maintain it).
All you would need to do is update the encryption within the 1p1 every few days and release a new encryption inside the client and change the client version. This would then pick up an out of date client and auto update to the newest version (with the new encryption) thus making any hacks unusable until the encryption gets cracked again. However if you run this method every few days it will eliminate the bots and hacks altogether unless you come accross a very perssistant hacker.

Although i guess your suggesting that the tool did an auto encryption change rather than you manually doing it yourself? well changing the encryption takes no time, just learn how to do it. I think Arcanine created a thread sumwhere on it.

i know its simple to do but having to open both files every 3/4 days would become abit of a pain where if you run a tool that does both together the same time would save about 5 mins of anybodys life and it dont have to automatic you can type in manually for example you type in xyz123 and click change and it does them both for you obv its abit diffrent to xyz123 but you know what im getting at
rizzla
SD Three Star
SD Three Star

Postby Ryke » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:59 pm

I will create a tool when I get some time to myself that will allow you to fast edit the OnePerOne and the client :)
Ryke
SD One Star
SD One Star

Postby rizzla » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:25 pm

Ryke wrote:I will create a tool when I get some time to myself that will allow you to fast edit the OnePerOne and the client :)

thank you ryke i will be looking forward to it
rizzla
SD Three Star
SD Three Star

Postby rizzla » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:01 am

Ryke wrote:I will create a tool when I get some time to myself that will allow you to fast edit the OnePerOne and the client :)

any infomation on this yet m8?
rizzla
SD Three Star
SD Three Star

Next

Return to Useful Tools