3D Modelling

Discussion for model development.

3D Modelling

Postby ScrooDoo » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:08 pm

**EDIT**

Some image links are broken due to re-organizing, i think only the ones that i wont be doing any further work on have been broken though.. will check this later. ;)

**/EDIT**

3D version of MoS?

Just as soon as i have a better grip on Blender - http://www.blender.org - and its built-in Game Engine im going to be making 3D versions of MoS Environments and Models.

My goal is to create the Thousand year Town area initially, as a standalone game - mostly because i dont have the resources to work with a server, and my server-client intereaction knowledge is pretty limited :|

I cannot give a timescale for this project, as im currently doing a full time college course and grabbing any work available :roll: but i AM going to do it.

First things first, im going to create an unpopulated version (no NPC's, maybe just a few Brics around) and post it, so that people can download and check it out :)

I will post screenshots as the work progresses untill i am at a stage where i can release the first version of the environment. Untill then any suggestions and ideas are welcome - just remember i want to work as closely as possible to the original MoS layout and styling :D

And now it commences... *opens Blender*
Last edited by ScrooDoo on Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScrooDoo
SD Two Star
SD Two Star

Re: 3D Modelling

Postby KimboSlice » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:15 pm

I wish you the best of luck. I would think doing a project that you have a great interest in would definitely help develop your skills that much more :).
KimboSlice
SD Pro 5 Star
SD Pro 5 Star

Postby Safron1 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:44 am

hi i just wanted to ask, does blender do animations or is it only for CGs because im have a few programs: maya, softimage, poser but im not sure which one to start learning for beggniners, i need something that is capable of doing animations and CGs (but i also have ZBrush so i dont need perfect CGs)

can you share any advise please, thank you

SomaDev Test Character Dsoma: @GBird
SomaDev Test Character Hsoma: @Safron

Diablo 3: Safron#2236
Safron1
SD Pro 5 Star
SD Pro 5 Star

Postby ScrooDoo » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:04 pm

Well Saf i gotta recommend Blender, its interface is pretty unique but its functionality is massive and theres really great tutorials available for complete newbies or more advanced users at http://www.blender.org/education-help/

Just take a look through these and see what you think :geek:

...did i mention it's totally free? :) oh and yeah it does animation too. lol
ScrooDoo
SD Two Star
SD Two Star

Postby Safron1 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:03 pm

free =] always werth a try many thanks hopefully ill get a better feel for than i did with the other programs :P

SomaDev Test Character Dsoma: @GBird
SomaDev Test Character Hsoma: @Safron

Diablo 3: Safron#2236
Safron1
SD Pro 5 Star
SD Pro 5 Star

Epic Task.

Postby ScrooDoo » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:43 pm

And so begins the convertion of all relative SPL files to BMP format in order to use them as a basis for my models.

Mass converter tool ftw!

If anyone happens to have fairly detailed map(s) of the (original prefered) TyT zone(s) such as full area map or localised TyT town map etc these would be great for helping me peice together my project.

Particularly usefull would be a series of screenies of the TyT town peiced together (or numbered accordingly ie. A01-A09, B01-B15 from top to bottom) so that i can peice them together, covering the whole town. If anyone can fudge something like that together for me it would be greatly apreciated :)

NOTE:
- It only needs to be a 2D representation, nothing 3D.
- Don't worry about NPC's if new ones have been added, im just worried about building placement.

Credit will be given where credit is due! ;)

For now im working on the main town structures, and considering how to set about doing a boundary in a slightly more realistic fashion such as walling around the entire town, but i suppose i could just make the southern cliffs more impressively impasseable? :|
ScrooDoo
SD Two Star
SD Two Star

Postby unvmeh » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:55 am

umm nice idea..

But the thing is SOMA it self was created by 3d models then broke down into 2d,

And they even used a "3dsmax" So if some how u can find the org files the kors used to creat tyt then u will have ur 3d soma...
........./´¯/)
......../¯..//
......./..../ /
./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
/'/.../..../......./¨¯\
('(...´(..´......,~/'...')
.\.................\/..../
..\.......... _.·´/
...\..............(
....\.............\
.....\.UNVMEH.\
unvmeh
SD Pro 5 Star
SD Pro 5 Star

Re: Original Files

Postby ScrooDoo » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:35 pm

Heh... i spent about a month searching already, and have given up hope. hence starting from scratch :roll:

But hey - here's a Prototype/concept of the Thousand year Town centrepiece! :D

Havent bothered working on textures yet, but not bad for a first model huh? (yeah i know theres no cherob on top yet) still learnin! :shock:
ScrooDoo
SD Two Star
SD Two Star

Postby unvmeh » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:08 pm

Looks very sweet :D

ye i failed in searchin for the files aswell lol...

good luck :D
........./´¯/)
......../¯..//
......./..../ /
./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
/'/.../..../......./¨¯\
('(...´(..´......,~/'...')
.\.................\/..../
..\.......... _.·´/
...\..............(
....\.............\
.....\.UNVMEH.\
unvmeh
SD Pro 5 Star
SD Pro 5 Star

Re: Original Files

Postby KimboSlice » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:57 pm

ScrooDoo wrote:Heh... i spent about a month searching already, and have given up hope. hence starting from scratch :roll:

But hey - here's a Prototype/concept of the Thousand year Town centrepiece! :D

Havent bothered working on textures yet, but not bad for a first model huh? (yeah i know theres no cherob on top yet) still learnin! :shock:

ScrooDoo,

Do me a favor and attach that image to a post so I can see :P. I can see any attached images on SomaDev while i'm at work but I can't see most images from img uploading sites.
KimboSlice
SD Pro 5 Star
SD Pro 5 Star

Next

Return to Model Development