[Guide]Map editing

Discussion for map development.

[Guide]Map editing

Postby arcanine » Sat May 07, 2011 4:35 pm

Preparation:
Download the map editor at: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2104457/map%20editor.zip
ensure you have a clean soma installation that you are not using, you can download the client from here:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=298

Step 1 - setup
Extract the zip file to a folder of your choosing.
Open the folder and double click mapeditorlauncher.bat
Ensure the working path is set to your soma directory (by default this is c:\soma)
Press Tool Map Tile
Select the window titled 'Dialog' and press Load under 'TILE SET OPTIONS'
The tsd files in this dialog box relate to the soma map zones, select a zone that you want the tiles from
you can check which numbers relate to which maps here:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6
Select one, and then wait, your system will hang for a period
Press New under 'TILE MAP OPTIONS' and set the width and height of your new map next to TM W/H
First box is width the second is height press set size when you are happy with the attributes

Step 2 - tiling

Select the dropbox at the top of the dialog control that says 'Select tiles' and change it to 'Place Tiles/Move/No Move'

In the box at the bottom of the dialog control, you can randomly generate maps based on the inputs that you give
the first parameter is this box is a percentage, the second parameter is the tileset you want to use and the third parameter is the individual tile you want to use a usage example would be as follows:

Code: Select all
30% 0-0, 30% 0-1, 30% 0-2, 30% 0-3

Keep in mind the percentages do not have to be 100% they can go over 100% in total or under, pressing TM INIT Random after inputting this command will fill your map with the selected tile, you can see which tiles relate to which numbers by observing the numbers changing when you switch through tiles.

You can delete a layer at any time by selected the layer that you have used and pressing TM INIT, this will clear the layer of any tiles.

To place tiles simply choose which tileset you want to use, in the top left list on the dialog control and the individual tile you want to use in the list below it, then with your mouse hover over the window tiled 'Tile Map Editor Window' and left click to place a tile at that point on the map.

To delete individual tiles tick the Delete check box on the dialog control and left click on squares that you wish to be deleted, you can change the 'brush' size of the delete function by changing the drop box value to the right

Good practise is to try and get the 'ground' tiles in on layer 0, and then to add details such as cobble stones and grass and ditches on layer 1, layer 3 to 5 do not seem to work as expected so be mindful of your limited set of layers when making complicated areas.

Step 3 - Objects

Highlight the window entitled 'TILE MAP OBJECT' and press load, this will load the map objects of the relevant map, there will be objects already placed in the .mod file, instead of deleting all the object individually you can delete them by changing the boxes to the left 'OBJ W/H' twice, put 1 in both boxes and press set twice, this should remove all objects in the map but leave the object list in tact.

To place objects change the drop box on the dialog control to 'Place Objects' you can then place objects on to your map by left clicking, to remove objects you have to hover the mouse in the exact position it was in prior to you placing the object and right click.

to do:

Step 4 - houses

Step 5 - move editing

Step 6 - event editing

step 7 - mini maps

step 8 - saving your map

step 9 - tips and tricks
arcanine
SD Pro 5 Star
SD Pro 5 Star

Re: [Guide]Map editing

Postby Dimension » Fri May 13, 2011 8:06 pm

nice work so far :)
Dimension
SD Five Star
SD Five Star

Postby roachee » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:53 pm

would like to know when you are doing more work on this as i would like to give map making ago no rush tho
[url=http://www.points2shop.com/?ref=uin1304533051[url]
roachee
SD Pro 1 Star
SD Pro 1 Star

Postby arcanine » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:00 pm

roachee wrote:would like to know when you are doing more work on this as i would like to give map making ago no rush tho

Using the skills above you can tile your map and place objects on it, if you get that far, take a screenshot and I'll write up things like no move tiles, houses etc, not much point spending the time writing up the rest if no ones got that far yet
arcanine
SD Pro 5 Star
SD Pro 5 Star

Postby roachee » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:05 pm

ah ok then atleast i know ill start work abit later on one might aswell give it a try
roachee
SD Pro 1 Star
SD Pro 1 Star

Postby roachee » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:59 pm

arrggggggg started making a map got to the place objects part clicked somethink and boom its gone :(
roachee
SD Pro 1 Star
SD Pro 1 Star

Postby GoldenPhoenix » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:08 pm

ok ive got quite annoyed :L
ive made my map (placed tiles an objects on it) 5-6 times now everytime i save it then want to come back to it later i open it up an its just a square -.- everything ive done has gone :evil:
/Golden

(I cant change my name so your going to have to live with the /golden) :P
GoldenPhoenix
SD Four Star
SD Four Star

Postby Slayerr » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:52 am

GoldenPhoenix wrote:ok ive got quite annoyed :L
ive made my map (placed tiles an objects on it) 5-6 times now everytime i save it then want to come back to it later i open it up an its just a square -.- everything ive done has gone :evil:

Only thing I could think of is that you aren't saving all the separate elements of the map. On the main dialog you've got Tile Set(.tsd) & Tile Map(.tmn) Options that you need to save when making a map. If you place light sources you need to save a .lsd file. Objects also need to be saved as a .mod file. When you load a map up, you need to make sure you load all the different parts of the map, so if you've placed objects they won't show till you load the object file, and same for tiles, map layout etc.
Soma Maps
Fornway Mountains (South) v2.0 - IN PROGRESS
http://www.somadev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3385
Slayerr
SD Three Star
SD Three Star

Postby rizzla » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:14 pm

need the full guide finished please and thank you
rizzla
SD Three Star
SD Three Star