Game Site Progression

A place where the developers will submit any work done to the somadev server or client.

Game Site Progression

Postby iSylver » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:25 am

Hi ho!

Since the last thread got deleted on the progression of the site dedicated to the game itself i'l recreate it. So what would you like to see in the site?

Will be going in
- Armory
- Database library
- Recent activity

Your Suggestions

Heres a mockup of the site it's changed somewhat since the last design.

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/5387/start4.jpg

Contact ingame:
@iSylver
SOMADEV
iSylver
SomaDev Staff

Re: Game Site Progression

Postby Kaepora » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:29 pm

Would like to see a return of the "Screen shot of the month" on the front page. And perhaps update it every month, unlike esoma ;)

Also, info regarding ingame things like WotW and GVW. If you could put the time and date they're starting in the time zone of the user that'd be great. Could even put info about who owns Conti, and who owns the Guild Village at the moment, sticking there logo on the side of the page.
Kaepora
SD Three Star
SD Three Star

Postby Vraatjuh » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:22 pm

I still prefer something more dark for soma, and also the picture of that guy is extremely gai. Sorry.
Vraatjuh
SD Three Star
SD Three Star

Postby robot123 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:27 pm

I would have screen shot of the week instead off the month

current gvw holds / conti

Ingame time

a count down to next gvw / wow

a count down to a planned event or a count down till a long event finishes like the chrismas prezi one
Sheffielder
robot123
SD Pro 3 Star
SD Pro 3 Star

Postby KimboSlice » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:41 pm

I can't view the site until I get off work (can't view imageshack or most other img hosting services). I like the ideas posted above and agree with robot's screenshot of the week....so much happens in a week with rivalries and what not....that it won't be a problem.

And how about a small section to the left or right of the page that lists a few "Hot Topics" on the forum?
KimboSlice
SD Pro 5 Star
SD Pro 5 Star

Postby iSylver » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:25 pm

Vraatjuh wrote:I still prefer something more dark for soma, and also the picture of that guy is extremely gai. Sorry.

light has been chosen as a basis as always I see this as a community effort however that opinion is useless. Post examples or alternates or don't post.

Purposeful incorrect spelling of words only strengthens my point.

Contact ingame:
@iSylver
SOMADEV
iSylver
SomaDev Staff

Postby arcanine » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:20 pm

To quote http://www.color-wheel-pro.com/color-meaning.html
'Light blue is associated with health, healing, tranquility, understanding, and softness.'

personally I would change it to a more reassuring dark brown because brown is associated with order and being reliable http://www.squidoo.com/colorexpert keep the textures and apply them to all the windows you've got going on there (at the moment there are three different window styles none match) and replace that graphic I've seen it in every mock up and hated it every time, think it was used in either nemesis or mages of soma, any render just not that one.

oh and stay away from web 2.0 type graphics that are shiny and colourful if it's not relevant don't just add them because it's the latest web style, because any time now that fad is going to fade and it really doesn't suit soma.

something to aim for:
http://us.blizzard.com/en-gb/games/d2/
http://www.wow-europe.com/cataclysm/ind ... 2.app23_08
arcanine
SD Pro 5 Star
SD Pro 5 Star

Postby iSylver » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:04 pm

I agree with the theme i'm particularly a fan of the diablo 3 site.

The issues that will effect the quality of the site:

Artwork - The artwork available for soma including its renders and such is terrible.
Routine - due to me designing "commerce" sites for a living I unfortunately fall into a design trend that suits the company.
Hardware - Due to moving yet again i'm currently working on a 15" laptop screen which is not ideal.

Nevertheless we welcome your input and encourage you lot to post more examples.

Unfortunately the realism may be that due to the lack of artwork the limitations may overcome the design. Esoma never really had a decent site for any of the games.

PS . The artwork you mentioned arcanine was not in nemesis or MoS it was in the mockup of SD which was lost on site wipe.

P.P.S Also Web 2.0 won't die for a while trust me on that one with the popularity of twitter and web 2.0 technologies such as ajax/jquery it will thrive for some time especially in the freelance, corporate and portfolio field.

Contact ingame:
@iSylver
SOMADEV
iSylver
SomaDev Staff

Postby Rumz » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:30 pm

The site itself look very nice the whole rule of colour is dont use more then 3 as it will distract user and make it look ugly, personally i would like to see a server online thing on the side like, what you made before isylver to see what server was up and what server where down, it would stop multiply thread of IS server DOWN? people can see it down you'll just get WHY IS IT DOWN threads lolz which is better to a extent, very nice work tho =D
@Rumz

SAY NO TO SOMA PETS
Rumz
SD Pro 3 Star
SD Pro 3 Star

Postby iSylver » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:54 am

As the demand seems to be for a more gore, dark orientated site i've altered the nav slightly i'd like to know if this is what you want.

Also are the blood splatters noticeable enough?

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/4739 ... latter.jpg

Contact ingame:
@iSylver
SOMADEV
iSylver
SomaDev Staff

Next

Return to Development blog