SomaDev: The Server

A place where the developers will submit any work done to the somadev server or client.

Re: SomaDev: The Server

Postby Obsidian » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:49 pm

Slither, seeing as you had some authority in Esoma, are u aware of the situation with Soma's rights? for example if shensoma was still alive, and they decided to add a subscription charge or somthing like that to fund the dedi costs or for whatever reason, who has what rights and can any action be taken to people with pirate servers?
Obsidian
SD One Star
SD One Star

Postby Ero » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:03 pm

The chinese developers own soma but i dont think they care
Ero
SD Five Star
SD Five Star

Postby Tiffany » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:08 am

Ero wrote:The chinese developers own soma but i dont think they care

The developers company folded and was bought up by another who did not see enough potential in Myth Of Soma in relation to their other titles therefore they did not continue with it. The original models and export tools were lost in this transition.

The licence/agreement to host in Europe held for some time by (eventually) GN ran out a number of years before it was taken down by GN. ESoma would only have severe bugs fixed as part of that same agreement. Technically they were also a pirate server after the licence expired but could have changed status if they paid royalties back to the developers.

After some time the developers abandoned all updates and GN ceased to continue in Europe. Which was a blessing in some respects due to the massive holes still prelevant in the server and client which meant the game ceased to be the same since almost anyone could hold GVW with 25k 1000HP/MP pots and 25K Dura Stinger Bows with the aid of some manufactured "tools". Although, those issues are fairly simple to resolve I'm guessing that GN couldn't change the game very much without additional effort (aka cost).

In general AFAIK it can now be classified as Abandonware as a number of people have researched the legalities of the software status. (Some of this detail was obtained directly from GN well after Slither stopped working for GN).
Tiffany
SD Pro 2 Star
SD Pro 2 Star

Postby arcanine » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:08 pm

Would be interesting to know who managed relations with Mgame (formally known as Wizgate) from within GN since players email's are ignored. I'd be interested to know how much licensing of this type costs, support from the original developers would be a revelation for soma. If not we've still got the server emulator in the works.
arcanine
SD Pro 5 Star
SD Pro 5 Star

Postby Tiffany » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:20 pm

arcanine wrote:Would be interesting to know who managed relations with Mgame (formally known as Wizgate) from within GN since players email's are ignored. I'd be interested to know how much licensing of this type costs, support from the original developers would be a revelation for soma. If not we've still got the server emulator in the works.

As I mentioned all the tool have been lost AFAIK, therefore you wont get the tools anymore.
Tiffany
SD Pro 2 Star
SD Pro 2 Star

Postby Slither » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:05 pm

Thats basically correct, it is abandonware for all intensive purposes now.

Shortly after the conti map was introduced and hero armour, relationship broke down and there was no communications. The guy whom I used to speak to from mgame, speak being a pretty loose term, summed it all up nicely a few years ago.. 'soma?'
Slither / Vexer
Jason
Slither

Postby unvmeh » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:59 pm

Slither im in venice atm wanna meet up lol

anyways long live soma x
........./´¯/)
......../¯..//
......./..../ /
./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
/'/.../..../......./¨¯\
('(...´(..´......,~/'...')
.\.................\/..../
..\.......... _.·´/
...\..............(
....\.............\
.....\.UNVMEH.\
unvmeh
SD Pro 5 Star
SD Pro 5 Star

Postby akemi » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:42 am

not to be rude, but is this still happening? Progress seems to go up and down.
I don't want to start work on a server then somadev appears lol
akemi
SD Two Star
SD Two Star

Postby iSylver » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:53 am

See the emulator thread for progression

Contact ingame:
@iSylver
SOMADEV
iSylver
SomaDev Staff

Postby fakkaz » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:01 am

Is there any idea already how late dsoma goes up ? :D
Dsoma : Warrior axer for life biiiiitch !
fakkaz
SD One Star
SD One Star

PreviousNext

Return to Development blog