Magic moved to Lua

A place where the developers will submit any work done to the somadev server or client.

Magic moved to Lua

Postby iSylver » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:28 am

Finito has done a great job of moving magic to Lua scripting.

What does this mean?
It means magic is much more flexible to work with including damage and functionality.

What can be done
A quick example of experimenting with this is adding a very basic teleport spell: http://screenr.com/6oq

We would like your ideas on the future of "magic" in terms of soma i.e what would you like spells to do and what are your thoughts on magic damage?

Regards

Contact ingame:
@iSylver
SOMADEV
iSylver
SomaDev Staff

Re: Magic moved to LUA

Postby Corrupt » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:54 am

Different types of mass multi spells, if mages aren't able to win a GVW because they can't hit then warriors shouldn't be able to win a war without any magic defence.

Some sacrificial super power spells like self destruct in Pokemon would also be amusing and being able to cast curses on yourself that slows you down for 30s or so in excange for reflecting the damage on yourself if you are killed onto your killer.
Corrupt
SD Pro 5 Star
SD Pro 5 Star

Re: Magic moved to LUA

Postby gallim » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:43 pm

invisibility
gallim
SD Five Star
SD Five Star

Re: Magic moved to Lua

Postby arcanine » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:54 pm

Will post ideas here when I'm back at a computer
Been thinking about loads would take too long to type
on my phone
arcanine
SD Pro 5 Star
SD Pro 5 Star

Postby Raver » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:51 pm

nvm
Last Game: FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Alpha Test
Current Game: FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Beta Test (Phase 1)
Raver
SD Three Star
SD Three Star

Postby SiD » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:59 am

This looks phenomenal, the possibility's this give gimmy a warm tinglin feelin in my end. ;* Just need to watch whats added as it would be easy to add OP spells.

Enough complaints where made about G birds when I roamed the lands of the Might, never mind a teleport spell lol.
Mudkipz wrote:Oi you are you gonna bang doe,
you got shot but are you Jill Dandoe
work in greggs but are you gonna bake doe
got nine kills but are you gonna paveloe

Thought i'd contribute to the faggotry
SiD
SD Pro 5 Star
SD Pro 5 Star

Postby arcanine » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:49 pm

Groups spells for: (a group of mages channelling together)
  • Spawning portals
  • Spawning bosses
  • Creating monster lures that attract monsters from a large radius
  • large group channels for automatic events
  • large group channels for weather changes which may also affect server wide drop rates
Whilst channelling is happening all the high level mages must keep channelling (using mana) whilst friends protect them from spawning monsters looking to protect the rip to 'the ether' or things will start going horribly wrong. Players need to end the spell somehow in a controlled way to prevent things going wrong

Over time spells for:
  • healing
  • hp/mana transfer
  • stamina transfer
  • damage over time
Single spell for:
  • Increased luck - may or may not provide increased drop rates
  • Stone defence - turns a ally to stone prevents movement and vastly improves defence to aid in tanking.
  • hp/mana transfer
  • stamina transfer

Tried to keep suggestions vague and non specific so that other people can make their own ideas from them.
arcanine
SD Pro 5 Star
SD Pro 5 Star

Postby bbrendanbb » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:45 pm

maybe an very high powered spell for people with 300+ staff skill maybe even the 360 cap, because if you have this your mellee stats will be very restricted. Will give people an incentive to go pure mage, as ive seen some people complain that there was no option for this.
Although possibly as seen above make the spell a self KO, so say 1000 damage, (would basically 1 hit kill ne1) but you die urself, and would prevent abuse on boss'.
bbrendanbb
SD Three Star
SD Three Star

Postby Naruto » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:22 pm

Teleport
If your going to make a teleport spell might be a good idea to have a long casting time otherwise no one going to be able to hit a mage without a bow.

Shield
I know there already a protection spell but it really sucks + the animation suck too, I always loved the mage shield in legend of mir (which is easy to design, probably be able to do it in photoshop, since it round and doesnt move you can have the same image for all the angles) + who really fights with a staff? maybe you could use this as a staff aura giving it a defensive/dodge ability so people start fighting with staffs

if you have never played mir here a picture of what i mean(wizards with a yellow shield)
http://images.mmosite.com/photo/2009/04 ... 8koD1q.jpg
Naruto
SD Three Star
SD Three Star

Return to Development blog