Generic interface box

A place where the developers will submit any work done to the somadev server or client.

Generic interface box

Postby iSylver » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:36 am

Hey guys just a quick one,

Essentially me and fin were discussing the option of having a generic interface which would make it easier for us to control etc. As seen in most games heres an attached mockup let me know your thoughts.
generic-interface-screen.jpg

generic-interface-screen-magic.jpg

Essentially it would make it easier to show data and if scalable it would make the game a little more "new".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Contact ingame:
@iSylver
SOMADEV
iSylver
SomaDev Staff

Re: Generic interface box

Postby mushra » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:59 am

i think this is a great idea
What We Do In Life Echoes Through Eternity
@Kesla
@Fitz

mushra
SD Four Star
SD Four Star

Postby arcanine » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:34 pm

iSylver wrote:Hey guys just a quick one,

Essentially me and fin were discussing the option of having a generic interface which would make it easier for us to control etc. As seen in most games heres an attached mockup let me know your thoughts.
generic-interface-screen.jpg

Essentially it would make it easier to show data and if scalable it would make the game a little more "new".

Would it not be easier to add tabs to the questscr.lib instead? If you go ahead with this version you have to keep consistency so you'd have to do it to every dialog in the game, adding this squared off style, with a darker texture, and drop light effect I can see it being a lot more work then sticking with the current UI conventions, done a rough mock up below, with this version you wouldn't have to redesign everything.

I haven't photoshopped in the quest information or selection but the buttons would filter the quests, and when you select one the image related to the quest is loaded, in this example you get the quest in the house at the top of the map to remind you who gave you the quest (since the npc names are difficult to remember but a image is instantly recognisable)

Of course I'm bias though because in the future I'd like to see the client released for other developers so I'd like to see it as generic and faithful to the art style as possible whilst still offering new features.
arcanine
SD Pro 5 Star
SD Pro 5 Star

Postby iSylver » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:40 pm

With this we have to have a bespoke framesize/image for everything causing more work. With this style we can make future changes that seemingly follow a new style incorporating old interface elements. With the new GUI proposed in a previous thread it would need a revamp too.

In my eyes somas art style is clunky and unneeded in the interface department.

Thankyou for the feedback though it's certainly a point to consider.

Contact ingame:
@iSylver
SOMADEV
iSylver
SomaDev Staff

Postby Scarsbrook » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:21 pm

I think the new interface looks brilliant, only thing is about the quests is that they have no real meaning to doing them apart from the legendary cookbook once you cap dex
Scarsbrook
SD One Star
SD One Star

Postby iSylver » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:03 am

Can see how this generic interface would work with frames and patterns in our new interface system.

Contact ingame:
@iSylver
SOMADEV
iSylver
SomaDev Staff

Postby ghostfire » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:53 pm

very nice work tbh. anything new in soma will add more effect ingame tbh. as someone stated. in the quest log, only quests people normally do is the one to get the anti poison bracelet and the legendary cook book. with the somadev release, any chance of a total revamp of quests?

Ghostfire, Pow
ghostfire
SD Four Star
SD Four Star

Postby Finito » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:42 am

Here is something that i have thrown together within the new client.
Finito
SomaDev Staff

Postby iSylver » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:07 am

Looks pretty epic Fin. drag and drop will be a nice little feature when i'm back il design the interfaces to fit a little bit :).

Contact ingame:
@iSylver
SOMADEV
iSylver
SomaDev Staff

Postby massaki » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:35 am

Too modern looking imo, know it might be an early prototype, but it'd look better if you made like a revamped, sharper version of the old window, instead of it looking like a standard blocky window.
massaki
SD One Star
SD One Star

Next

Return to Development blog