Client Launcher

A place where the developers will submit any work done to the somadev server or client.

Client Launcher

Postby iSylver » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:53 am

As always we're looking for suggestions on what can improve every part of our project. The client launcher is no different.

Users who have played the "World of Warcraft" will msot likely find that client launcher useful, using different background images, Rss news updates etc.

What would you like to see on your client launcher?

- RSS news feed directly from the forum
- Server Status

Suggest more.

Contact ingame:
@iSylver
SOMADEV
iSylver
SomaDev Staff

Re: Client Launcher

Postby kriss » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:04 pm

-usercount
-gms online
- maybe a riddle every day, just to make you think while playing :geek:
kriss
SD Three Star
SD Three Star

Postby arcanine » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:45 pm

New features
I'd like to see a launcher that is themed similarly to the rest of the client and doesn't contain server branding it should look like it was written by the original developers, ideally it should have a server list that scans somadev for active servers which if possible would hex the client in real time so that the buttons on the login screen work i.e. register page / account page for other servers as well as your own (I don't want to have to keep using different clients for different servers if possible) Other features could include a CRC check on your soma installation (against the chosen servers specification if available) and a patch update system to ensure there is no confusion in installation or inbetween different servers (perhaps make the client look for a .xml file on the servers root directory that contains settings for the launcher) i.e. notification of files needed etc

Bug fixes
but more importantly (I'm assuming use of a windowed client) the launcher should close after soma is closed and not stay in memory and it should revert colour depth before it closes and perhaps include a close button that activates the 5 second log out, the client should also start maximised and not in the taskbar, alternatively if possible have the client run in 16bit colour while the rest of the desktop stays in 32bit colour mode
arcanine
SD Pro 5 Star
SD Pro 5 Star

Postby iSylver » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:06 pm

Quick note this would be for "our" server only assuming this there would only be one server. It till more than likely follow the web 2.0 standards of the forum/web and be used as a smart client meaning alot of client/server interaction.

Contact ingame:
@iSylver
SOMADEV
iSylver
SomaDev Staff

Postby Moomin » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:33 pm

One thing I'd like to see included would to have the registration via the launcher itself. Even in ESoma when you click the register button it would just send you to the website and minimise Soma.
Moomin
SD Four Star
SD Four Star

Postby iSylver » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:15 pm

Sounds appropriate. Consider it done.

Contact ingame:
@iSylver
SOMADEV
iSylver
SomaDev Staff

Postby Tiffany » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:20 pm

arcanine wrote:New features
I'd like to see a launcher that is themed similarly to the rest of the client and doesn't contain server branding it should look like it was written by the original developers, ideally it should have a server list that scans somadev for active servers which if possible would hex the client in real time so that the buttons on the login screen work i.e. register page / account page for other servers as well as your own (I don't want to have to keep using different clients for different servers if possible) Other features could include a CRC check on your soma installation (against the chosen servers specification if available) and a patch update system to ensure there is no confusion in installation or inbetween different servers (perhaps make the client look for a .xml file on the servers root directory that contains settings for the launcher) i.e. notification of files needed etc

That means it would be too easy to make a bot client and hence would never be done.
arcanine wrote:Bug fixes
but more importantly (I'm assuming use of a windowed client) the launcher should close after soma is closed and not stay in memory and it should revert colour depth before it closes and perhaps include a close button that activates the 5 second log out, the client should also start maximised and not in the taskbar, alternatively if possible have the client run in 16bit colour while the rest of the desktop stays in 32bit colour mode

This can only be done with using a Virtual Desktop system since windows will not allow multi colour graphics modes. However, would be pointless as it would take-up too much process time.
Pez wrote:One thing I'd like to see included would to have the registration via the launcher itself. Even in ESoma when you click the register button it would just send you to the website and minimise Soma.

That's done on most of the clients that have been made specifically for one server. Although, since they have shared it the functions then become redundant and also they are severely reducing the encryption security but don't seem to realise that.
Tiffany
SD Pro 2 Star
SD Pro 2 Star

Postby Corrupt » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:07 am

A windows mode that functions as a windows mode, having to ctrl alt del every time to get out of the Soma window makes it a relatively pointless function.
Corrupt
SD Pro 5 Star
SD Pro 5 Star

Postby iSylver » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:05 am

If I recall there was an optional mouse patch which resolved that issue for most users

Contact ingame:
@iSylver
SOMADEV
iSylver
SomaDev Staff

Postby Tiffany » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:23 am

iSylver wrote:If I recall there was an optional mouse patch which resolved that issue for most users

Its the Mousefreedom dinput.dll that was used in RO which allows the mouse to escape from the fixed window. However, since its got code injected into it it gets flagged by most virus scanners as infected, but thats is only as it has a similar signature but doesn't have any other functions.

The source code client operates in a different window mode and doesn't need the mousefreedom dinput.dll therefore the:
Corrupt wrote:A windows mode that functions as a windows mode, having to ctrl alt del every time to get out of the Soma window makes it a relatively pointless function.
Was already part of the functions of the client.
Tiffany
SD Pro 2 Star
SD Pro 2 Star

Next

Return to Development blog