Marketing

Anything you would like to see in the somadev server? Post here!

Re: Marketing

Postby Derogatory » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:13 pm

Good effort bro, hold off on buying it till 2 days before launch so we can have 1 huge marketing push. Often people have to see the game advertised 2-3 times before they'll get the impulse to click/register so this way we can get as many sign ups as possible.
Derogatory
SD Two Star
SD Two Star

Postby KimboSlice » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:17 pm

Yeah Dan says they plan to move their new site live in a couple of weeks with some landing pages closer to launch that I'll link the banners to. That way the players will stick around :).
KimboSlice
SD Pro 5 Star
SD Pro 5 Star

Postby Derogatory » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:41 pm

Ok so here's where I'm at so far with the marketing situation.

My offer of $5000 still stands which will be used to market Soma from the 29th---> 5th.

A friend of mine has offered me 50,000 UK/US Emails 24 hours old scraped from the IGN/MMORPG Database.

I also have another friend who specializes in MMORPG Marketing and he's offered his services & will generate us users on a CPL (Cost per lead) basis. This means that we'll pay per real legit registration of a user.

US: $2.00
UK: $1.80
AU: $1.80
NZ: $1.80

INTL (Targeting English speaking only) - Prices in USD

FR: 1.20
DE: 1.20
SE: 1.20
FI: 1.20
NO: 1.20
ES: 0.80
IT: 0.80
PO: 0.50
MY: 0.40
BR: 0.20

Another friend of mine has also given me $200 free credit to use at his redirection traffic source so when a users types in for example - worldofwarcarft.com a typo domain related to mmorpg the placeholder site would redirect to myth of soma which costs around half a cent per redirect. Over a large sum of keywords this could bring in quite a few users all free of charge.

The main reasons for my post however, is to look for donations toward the lead generation my friend is doing. I'll front $300 which will get us between 150-300 sign ups and around 70% of those will convert into players, any other donations would be gratefully received as each $1 equals 1-2 users, if everyone donated $1 each we'd get a nice boost on usercount.

One thing Soma missed was a good marketing strategy & I think we could make it quite a popular game if we play our cards right!

You can send your donations to: musclemunch@gmail.com via paypal, if you send as a gift they won't take a % either.

Cheers
Derogatory
SD Two Star
SD Two Star

Postby KimboSlice » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:34 pm

The thought of bringing in brand new players to Soma is very exciting! Especially with the new site/forums, they will be looking at it as a new MMORPG and not a private server. It's so nice of you to use your skills/resources to benefit the entire Soma community. I'll see how much I can donate in the next few weeks :).
KimboSlice
SD Pro 5 Star
SD Pro 5 Star

Postby Derogatory » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:06 pm

75% of me thinks this is going to be bigger than any of you guys are expecting & will require multiple servers, the other 25% is worrying that the 600mb client and grind will put people off. Soma has a very unique stat & pvp system which makes it fun, not to mention the community. However, the new generation of gamer has been baby sat into getting things easy e.g. COD/WOW.

I'm just hoping that on release all old players will be on their best behavior and help some of the newer guys out as first impression is everything. If we have a couple of idiots running around tyt telling people to die & the like it will easily discourage the new players to continue playing. If people really want to revive this game & bring back the old days it will require the whole community to take part.
Derogatory
SD Two Star
SD Two Star

Postby KimboSlice » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:47 pm

As for the client, hopefully 600mb won't be a big deal now and days with everyone having much faster internet connections. I mean big name MMOs have clients that are over 5gb. 600mb on a modern connection shouldn't take long at all. I think the key is going to be the ease of install. Click the download button, run the installer once it's done downloading, shortcut on your desktop brings up the launcher. They should (and I imagine they will) include a drop down menu on the launcher where you select from the available resolutions as well as the 'Windowed' tick box. You don't want casual players having to go in and edit their config.txt file to get more than 800x600 resolution in 2013. On the same note, I think it'll be important to keep the launcher "Latest News" up to date upon release. I know Fin and Dan are busy with other things, but perhaps it would be a good idea to create a new login/character select screen in the near future that scales well with higher resolutions. These particular screens look crap today to begin with, but once you touch the resolution they look much worse. And we're used to this. New players will look at it and go "Oh my ...god".

On the other hand I think the graphics of Soma scale very well with the higher resolutions and I think it's going to be one of it's niche features. I think many people enjoy and prefer the isometric style of graphics that Soma has. If I had to pick one other aspect of Soma that will still be desired by today's mmorpg players I would say Soma's dynamic and "Open World PVP". The ability to kill anyone, anywhere, with no zones being off limits (other than towns of course). PVP is definitely what will sell the game.

I think most of the community now being in their mid to late twenties are fairly mature and will be more than helpful to new Soma players. But you know as well as I do that there are always a few abusive, immature, and disrespectful players. Hopefully everyone will be on their best behavior and the appointed Mod's will do their part to keep the abuse out of the game. Banter is great, but abuse is not. Good luck with the advertising campaign. Hopefully it is very successful. Once the new forums get put up, it will give the new interested players a few days to get excited and ask questions about the "Revival of the classic open world PVP mmorpg" :).
KimboSlice
SD Pro 5 Star
SD Pro 5 Star

Postby Derogatory » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:40 pm

Just a quick update,

I submitted our game to a couple of sites this morning & received a good response from all of them so you can expect to see Myth of Soma on their games list soon.

- MMORPG.com
- MMOSite.com
- MMOBomb.com
- OnRPG.com

I'm also waiting for iSylver to give me permission to post on the Myth of Soma Facebook fanpage. The second I'm approved I'll be drip feeding $50 a day to the fanpage trying to build up a bit of a community on there (this won't effect the $5000). Once the 29th come's i'll start ramping it up to the point where we're spending 1k-2k a day on the 31st/1st.
Derogatory
SD Two Star
SD Two Star

Postby Dimension » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:55 pm

Derog just an idea, why dont you get in touch with MMOhut, loads of people watch there game reviews from ramotayy and he will no doubt do one for soma if you make him aware of it.
Dimension
SD Five Star
SD Five Star

Previous

Return to Ideas & Suggestions