Change the same old soma grind

Errors on the forum? - Post Here

Change the same old soma grind

Postby kovaras » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:04 pm

gonna phrase this like a problem an solution kinda thing....

Problem

Everyone knows some to well now, there's no mystery left. In beta no one knew where to go or what to hunt etc etc. but now the game is so well mapped out that everyone knows what mob they should be hunter at what str. No matter what rates/ server we have all played in the past, 90% of the patch is the same, we all go from mob a to mob b to mob c, because its common knowledge what mob/place is best for str/int

What i suggest is not a small task but no a hard 1 either just time consuming....

take all mobs out of the game, take all quests out of the game
Make the Start Spawning spot different. Merc town for example, make that the new starting location.
Obviously we would have to use the same skins on mobs that are all ready in game.
Give all mobs new Stats(completly mix them up so nobody knows what is good for str or dex) then its just a matter of deciding which mobs go where. And spawning them. Make us rediscover the game again. dont make this e.soma with new rates, make this DevSoma a awsome challenge that no1 has yet worked out from start to finish

exploring some the first time round was part of the fun, going from say orcs to stiege/kobolts no1 knew which mobs where the best for what stat, but when you found out a good mob for yourself n noone else was there you felt amazing like you had found something everyone else did not know about.

you guys have been doing this for a long time, im sure changing start location, mob stats and mob spawn locations is not a hard task for you. and im sure you can come up with basic quests off the current ones easy enough as well

Example scenario i would love to see....

You log in and your in merc town. And your old soma hand book is thrown out the window, it could be under attack from trolls or werewolves that could be the new equivalent to wolves. venturing out into the woods to find an under used conti mob of some description as 1 of your first leveling mobs, maybe just north a group of driuds that are trying to melt the frost trolls ice to the north....

etc etc etc

i fell this sort of game change would make the server, give us all something new, not just the same old soma at different rates, it would also give you the chance to make under used areas like conti more viable by spawn placements. People incuding myself are here because we love some, but most of us have done it to death at this point. but if you dont know what to hunt and where to go, 'finding the best spots' gives you something new to do.

wouldnt it be good if 90% of the player base wasnt just going from 1 mob to the next like every other server and have to explore and experiment on mobs again to see what was good n what was not
kovaras
SD One Star
SD One Star

Re: Change the same old soma grind

Postby Corrupt » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:14 pm

How long have you thought about this?

Like 5 years ago I wanted to see someone do that, but at this point I honestly can't be arsed to play a 2D game that no longer resembles the game I once played for the sake of randomness.
Corrupt
SD Pro 5 Star
SD Pro 5 Star

Postby kovaras » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:55 pm

Corrupt wrote:How long have you thought about this?

Like 5 years ago I wanted to see someone do that, but at this point I honestly can't be arsed to play a 2D game that no longer resembles the game I once played for the sake of randomness.

it took eactly 0 minutes to think of, its what a new server needs, its easy to do(time consuming maybe), considing this should take about a weekend to make happen for people of islyver n flintos experience. and it could give a new server a new lease of life i dont see why not
kovaras
SD One Star
SD One Star

Postby TwitcH » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:33 am

It's been done before, was it elundra? Think is may have even been one of dans.

TwitcH
TwitcH
SD Three Star
SD Three Star

Postby Corrupt » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:37 am

kovaras wrote:it took eactly 0 minutes to think of,

There's a surprise.

kovaras wrote:and it could give a new server a new lease of life i dont see why not

If the majority of the userbase wanted a challenge they'd be playing a different game.
Corrupt
SD Pro 5 Star
SD Pro 5 Star

Postby kovaras » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:05 am

Corrupt wrote:
kovaras wrote:it took eactly 0 minutes to think of,

There's a surprise.

kovaras wrote:and it could give a new server a new lease of life i dont see why not

If the majority of the userbase wanted a challenge they'd be playing a different game.

ok first of all this is a suggestion forum, disagree if you life but cocky comments like that's a surprise say a lot more than your intended comment ;)

2ndly what user base? there's a handful of people left playing soma servers. Most of us have moved onto other games. SomaDev is basically the last real chance soma has of having a good server up. And it all comes down to player count. If people get board doing the same old thing, or simply do not want to go through it all again in the same way/ same path/ same game for the 30th time on there 30 server. Im suggesting mixing things up a bit, and to do it, it would take minimal effort, but take some1 like who knows what there doing like flin/islyer a couple of days to work out.

the idea is not about making the game a 'challenge' just a change so where not all taking the same route we have about 20 times over on 20 dif servers.
kovaras
SD One Star
SD One Star

Postby Corrupt » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:48 am

kovaras wrote: ok first of all this is a suggestion forum, disagree if you life but cocky comments like that's a surprise say a lot more than your intended comment ;)

It's actually the suggestion forum for the forum itself, not the game.

2ndly what user base? there's a handful of people left playing soma servers. Most of us have moved onto other games. SomaDev is basically the last real chance soma has of having a good server up. And it all comes down to player count. If people get board doing the same old thing, or simply do not want to go through it all again in the same way/ same path/ same game for the 30th time on there 30 server. Im suggesting mixing things up a bit, and to do it, it would take minimal effort, but take some1 like who knows what there doing like flin/islyer a couple of days to work out.

the idea is not about making the game a 'challenge' just a change so where not all taking the same route we have about 20 times over on 20 dif servers.

You don't seem to get:
Most players didn't play a lot of PServers
Most players who played a lot of PServers played super rate servers that skipped past the meat of the game in a week
Most players haven't played a PServer properly for an awful long time
Corrupt
SD Pro 5 Star
SD Pro 5 Star

Postby kovaras » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:21 am

no i get it, but its not true, most people who are still around looking for soma servers have played alot of server to date still looking for that euro some feeling again. And this suggestion gives just a little bit of that feeling back, having to explore and trail things again.
kovaras
SD One Star
SD One Star

Postby ghostlord » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:39 am

I agree that reworking the total server would've given a near-complete new game. However, Sylver has decided months ago that the time to do this is not available due to the amount of bug-fixing required. Instead we are going for a more basic server that will grown out to give more content, be more challenging, etc. To do this we need people as well as a system that allows us to easily create new maps, mobs, quests and bosses. Which I believe we have for most of these things.

As you said to Corrupt, he speaks the truth most of the times but comes over cocky. You responded well to this and I commend you for that.

As for the size of the user base market - I think its bigger than any of us know.
Leader of The_Empire
@Ghostlord - Test server Pos King
@Phawaka - Retired human

Proud board member and mod of Somadev. Play fair, be nice!
Show your love for Soma, tell your friends about it!

Somadev - Blade of Heaven - 31st of August
ghostlord
SD Pro 5 Star
SD Pro 5 Star

Postby Corrupt » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:02 pm

ghostlord wrote:However, Sylver has decided months ago that the time to do this is not available due to the amount of bug-fixing required.

That's a blatant lie.

kovaras wrote:no i get it, but its not true, most people who are still around looking for soma servers have played alot of server to date still looking for that euro some feeling again. And this suggestion gives just a little bit of that feeling back, having to explore and trail things again.

I played <10 and I don't think I'm a casual player. If they can't attract a decent proportion of the ex ESoma usercount who've played <3 pservers properly it's doomed.
Corrupt
SD Pro 5 Star
SD Pro 5 Star

Next

Return to Suggestions & Problems