Change the same old soma grind

Errors on the forum? - Post Here

Re: Change the same old soma grind

Postby kovaras » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:00 pm

DazTheMe wrote:I agree with kov about having a new challenge, but remember, this is a long term server...it would a small amount of time to run around naked, noting down what mobs (if all changed) do what damage to you naked and testing the amount of exp per stat gained. More than anything it would be a mildly annoying then just like normal when you know what to hunt.

This server will be challenging in a way that esoma was when you first start. Barr is going to be rather scarce to start and hunting for drops/armours on probably an Esoma drop rate will be tough, the only reason soma has seemed so "easy" is because on P-servers the rates have been fast, the drops have been upped, items have been put in an npc and barr is dropped in its thousands.

I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone be in the same position with no help from higher levels to quickly develop another char......Seeing the first person in bone armour/invuln ect. it will literally be like playing soma for the first time again :D

i wish this was ture but its not, the fast rates along are not just what made the p.servers easy. When people didnt know what mob was best for what stat it introduced the element of exploring and testing monsters for your self. we will all follow the same progression path for str/int as we have all done before. we all know what mobs drop which items etc etc etc, how about the feeling of moving onto a new mob, grinding it for a few hours n omg you find shadow pads, but no1 else knows where you got them. you can keep this secrete to yourself or share it with giuld. lets say some1 tries selling you golden pads on a normal server n want 15k for them, its never gonna happen. even if your not strong enough to find yourself them yet. you know you can grind wraith at some point n find them. the same is true with 98% of drops in a normal server

by mixing up mobs/stats where to go you get a new game feeling, further more it will help establish a better economy. people will be more likely to buy n sell gear again like beta simply because everything isnt known before you do it. it creates a supply and demand that is missing from soma. And there simply isnt much supply n demand type of market left on soma any more because its been done to death.

besides it will create more competition. if we dont all know where to go n what to do then its not simply who sends most time online gets ahead(atleast not short term) exploring and testing create a natural slow down, n if you lucky n find a good spot can give you an advantage know one else has

Im sure devsoma will be good anyway, soma itself is whats good, but why settle for good when it could be amazing again. This is the idea that could do that again...
pros
you get to explore again
you get the excitement of find what drops where for yourself
you get that new game feel again
you get to work out a whole new path of progression
It will help create a better economy as explained above
It will mean competition is at an all time high in game

this idea should not be over looked. Theres no downside to it and to many benefits. this is the sort of change that would separate a great server from just another p.server. I do no understand why anyone would not want this doing. And we have guys more than capable of doing it. barely anyone uses these forums any more even before the launch, i never see more than 2 people on them at any1 time. that's because people have lost interest in soma. we have all 'done it all before' so can no judge an idea by the 1 or 2 people coming on an saying 'i like knowing what im doing'. the forums are not actice enough to get a picture of what people do and do not want.... what is clear is there's not many of us left and thats because people what something new. if they didn't want something new there would be alot more of us floating around the servers available. But it doesnt have to be that way. you could breath new life into soma and maybe get back some interest simply by giving us something new.

i urged islyver/fin to sit and think about the pros and cons of this idea themselves. because when you really sit and think it through there's only 1 conclusion... soma needs a fresh start to ever truly be great again
kovaras
SD One Star
SD One Star

Postby DazTheMe » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:37 pm

You're forgetting a few important factors, new users...everything will be new and also the armoury provides all the details and what mobs to hunt around your current strength and int.

So even if the idea was implemented, simply one click on the armoury and voila! i know where to get those shadow pads!
DazTheMe
SD Three Star
SD Three Star

Postby kovaras » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:17 pm

omg i did not know the armory could do that.... well that in no uncertain terms sucks so bad it untrue. a game needs some mystery to it. and that has taken the last little bit out.

So the armory tells you what to hunt at what stats, where they can be found, what every monster in game drops
what other people are wearing (i hope it doesn't tell you character stats)
so we...
know exactly where to go...
exactly what to hunt....
what the mobs where on might drops us....
whats the point? everything i was looking for in devsoma has been taken out by the armory. i was hoping for a 'new soma feeling'

but weve taken out...
the need to explore...(even new content which will apear on the armory)
the thrill of getting an unexpected drop (even new content which will have a drop list on the armory)
the economy will be weaker (simple suply and demand, every knows what will drop what the want = less demand)

so all thats left is leveling for the gvw once a week? how did we get here so fast lol

im not a doom sayer or a negative person but more i here about somadev the less i like. i hope it goes well but i doubt i will be playing. Theres just nothing new left, and the bit of secrecy and competition left in game has been removed by the armory. theres just leveling and the gvw, and that is not enough
kovaras
SD One Star
SD One Star

Postby iSylver » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:30 pm

That's fine, the armoury offers help to new players who don't know the esoma database (we have no intentions on changing every mob) as for a levelling guide it offers some mobs similar stats to you it does not dictate if they are the best for stats.

It's your choice to play but as I've said before not everyone will agree with every decision.

Contact ingame:
@iSylver
SOMADEV
iSylver
SomaDev Staff

Postby kovaras » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:39 pm

Dont get me wrong i hope this works for you, clearly alot of effort has gone into it, but its not for me (unless LOADS of people join then ill give it ago) i just dont see the apeal myself, to many things i dislike but thats a matter of choice. i just dont want to have nothing better to do than sit and level on mobs/progression paths ive done 10 times over just to go gvw for an hour a week. It needs something more

Good luck with the launch

i love soma its best game ever, i hope really hope im wrong
kovaras
SD One Star
SD One Star

Postby DazTheMe » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:19 pm

This server wont please everyone, some people want x5 rates and some x2 rates, some want new content and some want classic Esoma style.

Maybe this just isnt the server for you but it will probably be the last chance you get to play anything this close to a real soma. weather you know the content or not, this game can only be developed so far, masking mobs with different skins, stats and location in my opinion doesnt make it feel like soma and sooner or later everything will become transparent anyway.

However this server comes out, weather i like the rates and content or not, i will be playing it, with the people i enjoy playing it with.

The biggest factors of a good soma server are realiability, fairness, balance, usercount and longevity and as far as I can tell, this server addresses all of them issues with is highly pleasing. I can see this server being only second to Esoma...and with the work that is being put in to advertise it, it may even top Esoma.

Hope to see you ingame kov :geek:
DazTheMe
SD Three Star
SD Three Star

Postby ManCheck » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:39 pm

kovaras wrote:So the armory tells you what to hunt at what stats, where they can be found, what every monster in game drops
so we...
exactly what to hunt....
whats the point? everything i was looking for in devsoma has been taken out by the armory. i was hoping for a 'new soma feeling'

Couldnt you just, you know, not use the armoury? Are you the same Kovaras from eSoma?
ManCheck
SD Three Star
SD Three Star

Postby Corrupt » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:42 pm

kovaras wrote:Dont get me wrong i hope this works for you, clearly alot of effort has gone into it, but its not for me (unless LOADS of people join then ill give it ago) i just dont see the apeal myself, to many things i dislike but thats a matter of choice. i just dont want to have nothing better to do than sit and level on mobs/progression paths ive done 10 times over just to go gvw for an hour a week. It needs something more

Good luck with the launch

i love soma its best game ever, i hope really hope im wrong

People know a lot less about Soma than they think they do. If you actually played it the way you want to play your ideal server you might still find some interesting things out.
Corrupt
SD Pro 5 Star
SD Pro 5 Star

Postby Needles » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:56 pm

kovaras wrote:i just dont want to have nothing better to do than sit and level on mobs/progression paths ive done 10 times over just to go gvw for an hour a week. It needs something more

To be fair that's one of the same reasons why I decided not to play originally I mean considering how old this game is, starting over doing almost the same exact things gets stale after a while. Decided I'll still give this a go at least while I finish building my new pc but once it's built and ready to go I'll probably be playing other things.
Needles
SD Three Star
SD Three Star

Postby kovaras » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:42 pm

ManCheck wrote:
kovaras wrote:So the armory tells you what to hunt at what stats, where they can be found, what every monster in game drops
so we...
exactly what to hunt....

Couldnt you just, you know, not use the armoury? Are you the same Kovaras from eSoma?

yes it is the orginal kovaras /saravok suprised any1 remembers the name kovaras, it was my day 1 beta character, stop playing him n came back as saravok.

i used to play with my 3 brothers

Alyn
Tony_blair
and Dark_elijah

you carnt just not use a function like the armory when it is available, even id i dont use it others will. all the armory is, is a way to read the db, nomral players should not be able to do that lol, but i dont want to sit on here riuning forums/game for people so ill stop. I just see to many flaws with some of the new ideas to let myself enjoy it lol, i know im sad... but i believe in fair play and game challenge
kovaras
SD One Star
SD One Star

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions & Problems